Jump Starting the 12V Battery
CAUTION: Tesla Model Y cannot be used to jump start another vehicle. Doing so can result in damage.
NOTE: If jump starting Model Y using another vehicle, refer to that vehicle manufacturer’s instructions. The following instructions assume an external 12V power supply (such as a portable jump starter) is used.
CAUTION: Avoid short circuits when jump starting Model Y. Connecting cables to the wrong terminals, touching leads together, etc., can result in damage to Model Y.
1. Open the hood
2. Remove the maintenance panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
3. Connect the 12V power supply’s red positive (+) cable to the red positive (+) terminal on the 12V battery.
CAUTION: To avoid damaging Model Y, do not allow the positive cable to contact other metal components, such as the battery tie-down bracket.
4. Connect the 12V power supply’s black negative (-) cable to the black negative (-) terminal on the 12V battery.
5. Turn on the external power supply (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). Touch the touchscreen to wake it up.
NOTE: It may take several minutes to receive enough power to wake up the touchscreen.
6. When external 12V power is no longer required, disconnect both cables from the terminals on the 12V battery, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
7. Replace the cabin intake trim panel by placing it back in its original location and pressing down until it is secure.
8. Replace the maintenance panel by placing it back in its original location and pressing down until it is secure.
9. Close the hood.