To open the rear trunk, ensure the vehicle is in Park, then do one of the following:
• Touch the associated OPEN button on the touchscreen.
• Double-click the rear trunk button on the key fob accessory.
• Touch the rear trunk button on the mobile app.
• With Model Y unlocked, press the switch located under the rear trunk’s exterior handle.
When a door or the rear trunk powered liftgate is open, the touchscreen displays the Door Open indicator light. The image of your Model Y on the touchscreen also displays the open trunk.
To stop a powered liftgate while it is moving, single-click the rear trunk button on the key fob. Then, when you double-click the rear trunk button, it moves again, but in the opposite direction (provided it was not almost entirely open or closed when you stopped it). For example, if you single-click to stop the powered liftgate while it is opening, when you double-click, it closes.
NOTE: In emergency situations, you can override an Open or Close command by grabbing hold of the powered liftgate to stop it in place.
WARNING: Before opening or closing the powered liftgate, it is important to check that the area around the liftgate is free of obstacles (people and objects). You must proactively monitor the liftgate to ensure that it does not come into contact with a person or object. Failure to do so may result in damage or serious injury.
To close the powered liftgate, do one of the following:
• Touch the associated CLOSE button on the touchscreen.
• Double-click the rear trunk button on the key fob.
• Press the switch located on the underside of the liftgate.
If the powered liftgate senses an obstruction when closing, it stops moving and sounds two chimes. Remove the obstruction and try closing it again.
Adjusting Liftgate Opening Height
You can adjust the opening height of the powered liftgate to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):
- Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired opening height.
- Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.
- Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the powered liftgate, then reopening it.
Accessing the Cargo Area
To access the cargo area inside the rear trunk, pull up the strap at the rear of the cargo cover. You can then fold the cargo cover forward or remove it from Model Y.
CAUTION: To avoid damage, never load more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear load floor (above the lower trunk compartment), 285 lbs (130 kg) in the large lower trunk compartment, or more than 50 lbs (23 kg) in the shallow lower trunk compartment. Doing so can cause damage.