Jump Starting the 12V Battery
CAUTION: Tesla Model Y cannot be used to jump start
another vehicle. Doing so can result in damage.
NOTE: If jump starting Model Y using another vehicle,
refer to that vehicle manufacturer’s instructions. The
following instructions assume an external 12V power
supply (such as a portable jump starter) is used.
CAUTION: Avoid short circuits when jump starting
Model Y. Connecting cables to the wrong
terminals, touching leads together, etc., can result
in damage to Model Y.
1. Open the hood
2. Remove the maintenance panel by pulling it upwards
to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
3. Connect the 12V power supply’s red positive (+)
cable to the red positive (+) terminal on the 12V
CAUTION: To avoid damaging Model Y, do not
allow the positive cable to contact other metal
components, such as the battery tie-down
4. Connect the 12V power supply’s black negative (-)
cable to the black negative (-) terminal on the 12V
5. Turn on the external power supply (refer to the
manufacturer’s instructions). Touch the touchscreen
to wake it up.
NOTE: It may take several minutes to receive enough
power to wake up the touchscreen.
6. When external 12V power is no longer required,
disconnect both cables from the terminals on the
12V battery, beginning with the black negative (-)
7. Replace the cabin intake trim panel by placing it
back in its original location and pressing down until
it is secure.
8. Replace the maintenance panel by placing it back in
its original location and pressing down until it is
9. Close the hood.